Live in caregiver work are for persons who are qualified to provide caregiver work to children, elderly, and people with disabilities, in the comfort of the patients home. And because of the recent shortage of locally available live in caregiver work providers, the Canadian government formulated the live in caregiver work program to lessen the impact on its citizens by the constant decrease in number of locally available caregiver work providers.
The Live in caregiver work program are for foreign individuals who are eligible to provide caregiver work to Canadian families who needed their services. But in order to qualify for the live in caregiver work program there are certain rules that must be followed governing the foreign live in caregiver and the caregiver employers. On the part of the caregiver employers, their chosen live in caregiver must:
- Work for the caregiver employer in a private home
- Live with the employer
- Have a private, furnished room within the caregiver employers home
- Be employed on a full-time basis
Under the live in caregiver work program, once a foreign live in caregiver is in Canada, the foreign caregiver cannot work for more than one employer at a time. The foreign caregiver also cannot work for a health agency or labor contractor, or in a day care or foster care. A foreign caregiver, under the live in caregiver work program, must also possess the following in order to qualify for the live in caregiver work program:
- A job confirmation letter from a Canadian employer.
- A written contract with your future employer.
- Successful completion of the equivalent of Canadian secondary school.
- At least six months of caregiver work training, or at least one year of full-time experience (including six months with one employer) during the past three years.
- Good knowledge of English or French.
- A work permit before you enter Canada.
With regards to the continued stay in Canada of a foreign live-in caregiver after they finished their contract, they must apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for an extension of their work permits. They can also apply for a permanent resident visa if they have worked in Canada for 24 months within a 36 month period.
For a more detailed information regarding Canada’s Live-in Caregiver Work Program, you can visit this website at www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/work/caregiver/index.asp